Senior PR Manager
Marketing & Communications
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Posted on Monday, February 5, 2024
Amber is a new way to buy power, designed for a world powered by renewable energy. We give customers direct access to the real-time wholesale electricity price as it varies every 5 mins. We then provide the technology to shift energy usage to the times when cheaper renewables are available in the grid and export to the grid at times when the price is highest. It’s a cheaper way to buy power and the fastest way for Australia to reach 100% renewable energy. We have thousands of customers who love what we are doing and a great product that will play a significant role in driving Australia towards a renewable future.
We are backed by Australia’s leading VCs (including Square Peg Capital and Main Sequence Ventures), impact-focused investors and individuals, and most recently by Commonwealth Bank. We’re now at a critical moment in taking the business to real scale as we disrupt a huge market for the better. We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 70 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
💻 About the role
We’re looking for a PR gun with a journalist background and up-to-date network with Australia’s leading journalists to join our Marketing team. With an exciting roadmap of marketing campaigns and product launches, we’re looking for an internal PR person to help us drive Amber awareness, build brand credibility, position Amber as thought leaders in the renewable energy space and ultimately drive growth in new customers.
This role is an exciting opportunity for an ex-journalist looking to go in-house and help us shape the story of one of Australia’s most disruptive start-ups and fastest growing energy retailers.
- Develop and implement Amber’s PR strategy, in line with business objectives
- Build and nurture relationships with Tier 1 TV, radio, and print media outlets, with a focus on securing TV coverage
- Craft compelling pitches tailored to different Australian media platforms, showcasing our highly differentiated energy modelLeverage internal data to create compelling and newsworthy stories for media consumption
- Work collaboratively with internal teams (Product, Operations, Growth, Marketing, Legal) to stay across new product development and leverage unique opportunities for PR
- Manage media briefings, spokespeople training, and prep Amber team members and customers for media opportunities.
- Transition PR efforts from external agency to an in-house model, ensuring alignment with company objectives
- Journalist background is essential
- 3 - 5 years experience at Tier 1 TV media (Ch 9, 7, 10, ABC) or radio (ABC, Nova, etc) or print (AFR, Guardian, The Age, SMH, etc), with a deep understanding of how to craft a pitch for different Australian media
- Current and up-to-date network with Australian journalists at Tier 1 media.
- Strong copywriting skills and ability to craft press releases and other written communications for different media
- Experience interpreting and using data to build unique narratives and insights that create newsworthy stories
- Examples of creating coverage in mainstream TV, radio and print mediaProven start-up experience, having transitioned from media into the corporate world
- We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 70 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
- Be part of a growing technology start-up that will shape the future of renewable energy in AU
- Flexible working hours with provision for regular work from home arrangements and a central hub in Melbourne CBD
- We offset 100% of your carbon footprint for as long as you work with us (via Nul)
- Equitable gender-neutral parental leave policies
- An external Employee Assistance Plan for mental health support
- Competitive salary and shares in Amber
- Annual Learning & Development budget to support your personal growth.
This could be a part-time or full-time role for the right candidate. To be based ideally from Melbourne, but we are also open to considering the right candidate anywhere within Australia.
We mostly work from home, catching up in a co-working space in the CBD every now and then. We expect to remain Melbourne based but maintain flexibility between the office and WFH.