Data Analyst (Finance)
IT, Accounting & Finance, Data Science
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2024
Amber is a new way to buy power, designed for a world powered by renewable energy. We give customers direct access to the real-time wholesale electricity price as it varies every 5 mins. We then provide the technology to shift energy usage to the times when cheaper renewables are available in the grid and export to the grid at times when the price is highest. It’s a cheaper way to buy power and the fastest way for Australia to reach 100% renewable energy.
We have thousands of customers who love what we are doing and a great product that will play a significant role in driving Australia towards a renewable future. We are backed by Australia’s leading VCs (including Square Peg Capital and Main Sequence Ventures), impact-focused investors and individuals, and most recently by Commonwealth Bank.
We’re now at a critical moment in taking the business to real scale as we disrupt a huge market for the better. We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 70 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
💻 About the role
We’re looking for a Data Analyst who is excited about applying their analytical skills to define, measure and ultimately democratise data, metrics and insights that drive decision making across the business.
You’ll sit within the finance team owning the analysis and interpretation of core customer, revenue, and spend data. You’ll be working closely with the data engineering team on building on core models and other sources of truth supporting your analysis. You’ll be providing all key board reportable figures and charts to the executive team. The marketing team will be a key partner building rich segment, program, and channel specific analysis on top of your work measuring all top line metrics.
There are significant opportunities to increase the scope of your analysis over time. One particular area of interest is supporting our hedging team in energy market specific analysis such as load profile and X and Y. Another is the potential to help drive our pricing strategy.
- Work closely with the finance team’s downstream stakeholders to identify and report reliable and timely business metrics, such as customer growth, churn, revenue, COGS, CAC, LTV etc
- Define sources of truth and data dictionaries for key metrics across the business.
- Automate reporting and visualisation of metrics using modern BI tools (primarily Tableau with some PowerBI).
- Create analyses that tell a “story” focused on insights, not just data.
- Apply models on large datasets to measure results and outcomes.
- Support accounting and cash flow forecasting processes with repeatable models and adhoc analysis
- 2+ years of experience in a Data Analyst, Data Science, or Data Engineering role, with a focus on building data dashboards and/or analysing large data sets to solve problems.
- Degree in a quantitative field (e.g., Statistics, Economics, Math, Sciences, Engineering)
- Very strong knowledge of using SQL to query databases and datasources, knowledge in other development languages a plus
- Prior experience with visualisation using modern BI tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI, etc).
- Good knowledge of statistics
- Entrepreneurial spirit that thrives in a fast paced environment, deals well with ambiguity and focuses on driving impact.
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally, building and maintaining trust with internal stakeholders.
- High attention to detail including precise and effective communications.
- Experience working with modern BI infrastructure tooling and designing datastores (i.e. Data Engineering), or
- Prior experience at an early/growth stage startup, or
- Prior energy industry experience
Nice to haves:
🌈 If this kind of work gets you excited, we'd love to hear from you!
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed above, we still encourage you to apply. We're open to all backgrounds and encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
- We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 70 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
- Be part of a growing technology start-up that will shape the future of renewable energy in AU
- Flexible working hours with provision for regular work from home arrangements and a central hub in Melbourne CBD
- We offset 100% of your carbon footprint for as long as you work with us (via Nul)
- Equitable gender-neutral parental leave policies
- An external Employee Assistance Plan for mental health support
- Competitive salary and shares in Amber
- Annual Learning & Development budget to support your personal growth.
This is a full-time role to be based ideally from Melbourne, but we are also open to considering the right candidate anywhere within Australia.
We are also open to working 4 days a week if that's what you are looking for. We mostly work from home, catching up in a co-working space in the CBD every now and then. We expect to remain Melbourne based but maintain flexibility between the office and WFH.
✍️How to Apply
Please include your CV and cover letter. Please answer the following question in your cover letter and submit via the link below:
What’s the mathematical relationship between the wholesale price published on AEMO (https://www.aemo.com.au/) and the price Amber customers pay?
We’ll be receiving applications from the time of this job is posted, however please note that we will only be responding to candidates from Feb 6th.
We promise to be respectful of your time as an applicant while trying to be as thorough as possible in finding the right fit for our team.
[Applications only from candidates already based in Australia please. No recruitment firms.]