Senior Software Engineer
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
Amber is a new way to buy and sell power, designed for a world powered by renewable energy. We give customers direct access to the real-time wholesale electricity price as it varies every 30 mins and the technology to shift more of their energy usage to the times when cheaper renewables are available in the grid. It’s a cheaper way to buy power, a smarter way to sell power, and the fastest way for Australia to reach 100% renewable energy.
We are growing rapidly and have thousands of customers who love what we are doing and a great product that will play a significant role in driving Australia towards a renewable future. We are backed by Australia’s leading VCs (including Square Peg Capital and Main Sequence Ventures), impact-focused investors and individuals, and most recently by Commonwealth Bank and NRMA.
We’re now at a critical moment in taking the business to real scale as we disrupt a huge market for the better. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 70, with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations. We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world.
If this kind of work gets you excited, we'd love to hear from you! Even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed below, we still encourage you to apply. We're open to all backgrounds and encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
💻 About the role
Want to help improve the environment by shifting Australia’s energy usage towards renewables?
Amber provides a great opportunity to apply your skills as a Senior Software Engineer to help enable the uptake of renewable energy. Our technology optimises thousands of batteries and other devices in the customers' homes, enabling then time their usage to consume power at times of high renewable penetration (and cheap prices), and then export power back to the grid at critical times - letting them outbid coal and gas generators and earn potentially >$100 in an afternoon.
The Amber Electric product team develops and supports:
- Home automation integrations (to batteries, hot water systems and pool pumps, with EVs coming soon) that control electricity usage in response to pricing and renewable availability
- Mobile & Web apps for customers to monitor and manage their energy usage.
- A pricing and billing engine for real time energy pricing
- The marketing site and associated tools to drive customer growth
The tech stack is React Native mobile app, some React web frontends, and a Serverless Lambda backend on AWS. We’re using Typescript top to bottom, and Apollo GraphQL sits in the middle. We keep our data in DynamoDB and Timescale, using one or the other as best suits a particular workload.
You can learn more about our tech stack at https://stackshare.io/companies/amber-electric
While we’re looking for talented and driven individuals our desire is to build a champion team, not a team of champions. We’re full-stack-ish; while it’s impossible for everyone to excel across every layer of the stack we value people who can chip in wherever they’re needed. We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace from the ground up. We want engineers who are as comfortable communicating with people as they are with their code.
Qualifications and skills
- You have a positive mindset: equal parts curious, collaborative, and can-do.
- Five or more years of commercial software development experience in either Web or Mobile environments
- Past experience mentoring or leading software engineers
- Commercial experience with the specific technologies in our stack is a strong plus but not a hard requirement.
- We favour generalists who can be flexible across the stack, but are particularly interested in engineers with deep skills and experience across both frontend and backend. It would be a bonus if you have skills in CDK & Postgres databases.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills built on a foundation of empathy for your fellow humans is essential.
- Make sustainable and high quality technical contributions across the stack in the areas of your speciality
- Flexibly contribute outside your speciality in other areas of the stack supporting your team when they need it
- Work collaboratively with your peers in product and across the wider company to ensure you're always shipping the right thing the right way at the right time
- Mentor and support other members of the engineering team
- Support the app across the whole lifecycle from idea through to production
- Take high level ownership of technical design and project delivery
- We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world.
- You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 90 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
- Be part of a growing technology start-up that will shape the future of household renewable energy use
- Flexible working hours with provision for regular work from home arrangements and a central hub in Melbourne CBD
- We offset 100% of your carbon footprint for as long as you work with us (via Nul)
- Equitable gender-neutral parental leave policies
- An external Employee Assistance Plan for mental health support
- Competitive salary and shares in Amber
- Annual Learning & Development budget to support your personal growth
This is a full-time role to be based ideally from Melbourne, but we are also open to considering the right candidate anywhere within Australia.
We are also open to working 4 days a week if that's what you are looking for. We mostly work from home, catching up in a co-working space in the CBD every now and then. We expect to remain Melbourne based but maintain flexibility between the office and WFH.
🌈 If this kind of work gets you excited, we'd love to hear from you!
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed above, we still encourage you to apply. We're open to all backgrounds and encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
✍️How to Apply
Please include your resume and a cover letter and tell us one specific way you could use your technical skills to improve a household's energy use under the Amber model.
Our process will generally be as follows:
- A screening interview with our talent team
- A take-home technical challenge that should take no longer than four hours
- A follow up in person interview with two members of the engineering team
- A final chat with one of the founders and CTO.
We promise to be respectful of your time as an applicant while trying to be as thorough as possible in finding the right fit for our team.
"Applications only from candidates already based in Australia please. No recruitment firms."
“We are Common” by Common Code are assisting Amber with building their tech team. Any CVs will be forwarded to the We Are Common team.