Strategy & Operations Manager
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2023
Amber is a new way to buy power, designed for a world powered by renewable energy. We give customers direct access to the real-time wholesale electricity price as it varies every 5 mins. We then provide the technology to shift energy usage to the times when cheaper renewables are available in the grid and export to the grid at times when the price is highest. It’s a cheaper way to buy power and the fastest way for Australia to reach 100% renewable energy. We have thousands of customers who love what we are doing and a great product that will play a significant role in driving Australia towards a renewable future.
We are backed by Australia’s leading VCs (including Square Peg Capital and Main Sequence Ventures), impact-focused investors and individuals, and most recently by Commonwealth Bank. We’re now at a critical moment in taking the business to real scale as we disrupt a huge market for the better. We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 70 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
About the role
You’ll be a core member of our strategy and operations team, reporting directly into the COO.
We’re looking for an analytical and strategic individual who is excited about applying their exceptional problem solving skills to help scale our operational capabilities. You’ll be working closely with senior members of the operations, product and technology teams as well as collaborating with other teams (both internal and external) to drive meaningful change to our customer's end-to-end experience.
- Support the COO and senior members of the operations team in identifying the largest opportunities for automation and efficiency gains
- Work with our design and technology teams to automate and streamline key workflows for internal teams
- Identify and execute on opportunities to drive more self service (eg AI, FAQs, self service features)
- Partner with operations and finance teams to identify key areas of financial leakage and plug those gaps
- Deliver end to end key strategic projects from initiation to execution (eg bill smoothing product)
- Support the COO in managing our key third party partners.
- 3+ years of experience in strategy consulting or similar (strategy & operations) role at start up
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent written, verbal and in-person communication skills
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally, building and maintaining trust with internal stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Entrepreneurial spirit that thrives in a fast paced environment, deals well with ambiguity and focuses on driving impact.
- High attention to detail
- Prior experience at an early/growth stage startup
- Strong quantitative background (eg science, engineering)
- You’re passionate about technology, energy and/or the environment.
Nice to haves:
- We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 70 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
- Be part of a growing technology start-up that will shape the future of renewable energy in AU
- Flexible working hours with provision for regular work from home arrangements and a central hub in Melbourne CBD
- We offset 100% of your carbon footprint for as long as you work with us (via Nul)
- Equitable gender-neutral parental leave policies
- An external Employee Assistance Plan for mental health support
- Competitive salary and shares in Amber
- Annual Learning & Development budget to support your personal growth.
How to Apply
Please include your CV and cover letter. Please answer the following questions in your cover letter:
1. What is the best customer experience you have ever experienced and why?
2. What channel do you think provides a better customer experience - phone or email?