Senior Customer Operations Specialist (Compliance)
Customer Service, Legal, Operations
Melbourne VIC, Australia
Posted on Friday, September 1, 2023
⚡️ About Amber
Amber is a new way to buy and sell power, designed for a world powered by renewable energy. We give customers direct access to the real-time wholesale electricity price as it varies every 30 mins and the technology to shift more of their energy usage to the times when cheaper renewables are available in the grid. It’s a cheaper way to buy power, a smarter way to sell power, and the fastest way for Australia to reach 100% renewable energy.
We are growing rapidly and have thousands of customers who love what we are doing and a great product that will play a significant role in driving Australia towards a renewable future. We are backed by Australia’s leading VCs (including Square Peg Capital and Main Sequence Ventures), impact-focused investors and individuals, and most recently by Commonwealth Bank and NRMA.
We’re now at a critical moment in taking the business to real scale as we disrupt a huge market for the better. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 70, with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations. We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world.
If this kind of work gets you excited, we'd love to hear from you! Even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed below, we still encourage you to apply. We're open to all backgrounds and encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
About the Role
Looking for a job at a purpose driven start up? Amber, a company helping transition Australia to 100% renewable energy, is looking to hire a Compliance Specialist! As a Compliance Specialist, you’d be working with a small but passionate team to help deliver a first-class customer experience for Amber’s vulnerable customers by providing empathetic and supportive assistance.
🔋Compliance Specialist Responsibilities
- Take responsibility for managing accounts for vulnerable customers, particularly those experiencing financial hardship and/or family and domestic violence. Addressing their concerns via email and phone (using Zendesk) and coming up with sustainable action plans for them.
- Take a proactive approach to help solve complex customer problems and deliver a seamless customer experience. Working with our Accounts & Compliance Manager and Legal Counsel where required.
- Ensure the provision of our customer support and internal processes remain compliant with Australian regulations.
- Champion the development and sustenance of a compliance-centric culture within the organization.
- As an integral member of the customer operations team, you would be supporting in general customer service and BAU tasks.
🎯 Key Requirements
- At Amber, we want to hire self-starters who are eager to learn and are comfortable working in a changing environment. Some of the key traits we are looking for in this role:
- You’re a people person - you love both working with people and helping people
- You’re empathetic - you care and want to understand customers' problems
- You’re an excellent communicator - you know the right words and tone to use, whether you’re explaining a concept over the phone, handling a customer complaint or working with an internal stakeholder
- You’re a problem-solver - you embrace challenges, think on your feet and work strategically to find solutions
- You’re persistent - you will be working in a fast-paced and changing environment and work well in difficult situations
🎯 Ideal, but not required
- Experience in a compliance or customer support role, within the energy sector.
- Support and advocacy for vulnerable persons in other sectors such as financial counselling, social work, disability support, aged care work, not-for-profit/charity work, education assistant.
- Passion for energy, the environment or technology.
🌟 What we believe a great team looks like
- We put the customer at the centre of everything we do. Whatever it is we are doing, it’s always with a viewpoint that this will help our customers, whether that’s 10,000 customers right now, or 1 million customers in the future.
- We are willing to take calculated risks on bold ideas. We seek to do things differently and are willing to try creative ideas if we believe there is a significant upside with a culture where we recognise that not all ideas will succeed.
- Hypothesis-driven approach. We develop hypotheses of actions we can take to improve the business and then set up the systems to quickly test if that hypothesis was correct.
- We seek insight. We seek to disaggregate the data to draw out the insight to inform our next hypothesis.
- We prioritise the biggest opportunities. We test a variety of ideas but quickly cut what isn’t working and double down on what is.
- We continually learn and improve. We keep track of what we have learnt so that we continually improve and never make the same mistake twice.
- We create leverage. We believe that the key to creating an efficient business at scale is to create leverage in everything we do. Whether that’s implementing a better process or developing a new technology to solve a problem faster.
- We have fun. We love coming to work and interacting with our colleagues and customers. If we spot an opportunity for a joke, or to do something nice for someone, then we take it.
- Be part of a growing technology start-up that will shape the future of renewable energy in Australia
- Flexibility to work from home
- Flexible working hours to work with you around your schedule
- Exciting office space in Melbourne Central for when you do want to work from the office
- We offset 100% of your carbon footprint for as long as you work with us partnering with Nul
- Equitable gender-neutral parental leave policies
- An external Employee Assistance Plan for mental health support
- Competitive salary and equity
- Annual Learning & Development budget to support your personal growth
- This is a full-time role based in Melbourne. We’ve embraced a flexible work-from-home culture with the majority of the team spending a few days a week catching up at our office in the CBD when possible. We expect our team to remain Melbourne based and maintain flexibility between the office and WFH.
How to Apply
To apply please submit your resume and a cover letter by following the link, and answer the questions in the application section.
Our process will generally be as follows:
A screening interview with our talent team with a take-home case study to complete after
A panel interview with the Accounts and Compliance Manager and Amber’s Legal Counsel
A final chat with our Head of Operations, or COO
We promise to be respectful of your time as an applicant while trying to be as thorough as possible in finding the right fit for our team. Thank you for your time, we can't wait to hear from you and chat to you more about your future at Amber!